#100BM Day 41
Made this recipe nearly to the letter today. Except with chocolate instead of raisins because people seem to have a thing about raisins. I like raisins. Except when I’m expecting chocolate chips.
Oh, and I used butter instead of shortening, ’cause I don’t usually have that lying around, except at Christmastime.
Making two substitutions is about as close to the ‘pure’ recipe as I get.
This recipe card is of an unknown vintage, but it is clearly disgusting and old, and is the basis for every oatmeal cookie I make. I imagine it’s a typed-by-Mum version of an older family recipe? Maybe? The written-in advice about molasses is definitely mum’s writing.
Here are some variations I have made, often in combination:
- Using flax meal and water instead of eggs and either a vegan margarine or coconut oil-and-margarine mix for a vegan version of the recipe.
- Replacing the molasses (which I put in with the sugar during the ‘creaming’ bit) with maple syrup. This is good in the vegan version because it adds a bit more moisture.
- Replacing 1/3 cup of the oatmeal with dried, unsweetened coconut. (Oh, right, it WAS three things I changed. The first line of this entry is a lie.)
- Replacing the flour with a mixture of finely ground oats and coconut.
- Chopping up dried apricot halves into bits (about a 1/2 cup of them) and replacing half the chocolate chips with them.
- Chopping up toasted pecans and almonds and doing like with the apricot thing.
- Using a mixture of dried citrus peel and cranberries instead of raisins or chocolate. Adding in a pinch of nutmeg and/or ginger is fucking great in this version.
Voilà! The magical world of delicious is right in front of your eyeballs. Many apologies to Stef for taking more than a year to share this recipe.