(Before I officially start, I have to mentioned all the hype about Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Marcy May Marlene? Is not exaggeration. Her performance is absolutely amazing.)
“I’m going to write every day!”, blah blah. Well, I’m embarking on an 11-ish hour shift at Cinema Gringo (™@vdaedalus) because one of our weekend managers is away. Only one show of The Busiest Film of the Season today, which is a blessing and a curse; it means that the squillion people who want to see it will all be there at once, instead of splitting between two (or three) spates of busyness. I think my team can deal, if popcorn supplies hold out.
However, it means that I have limited time and brainpower to actually write, so here are some links and clips and things to entertain you instead (some of which I have posted elsewhere, so if you are a friend on Facebook or Twitter, then suck it up, there are repeats).
- Literal interpretations of Paris Métro station monikers.
- The Daily Beast presents 14 of the Best and Worst Audition tapes. Natalie Portman when she was untainted by Star Wars! Sandra Bullock channeling Laura San Giacomo’s performance in Pretty Woman! Chris Klein singing his heart out in a creepy way!
- Season One of Game of Thrones as an 8-bit RPG. 100% awesome.
- Laura Kern of Film Comment is my new hero.
- Kate Bolick looks at modern-day spinsterdom in a much more clever way than I ever could (well, actually, the article is about the misnamed ‘traditional marriage’ and how partnerships in life are evolving, but I just really want to use the word ‘spinsterdom’ as much as possible.)
- A trailer for the Melbourne International Film Festival’s Polish cinema series.
- The ever-brilliant Pamie tells you how to start writing a novel.
- Please to make/buy/steal me this awesome light switch.