Hey, it’s 2011! Here are some of the unexpected things that have happened so far:
- Nearly missed midnight because we were watching Despicable Me (after hitting the pub and my brother’s party). Toasted with whisky instead of the fizz I brought because we were tired and lazy.
- Woke up repeatedly due to my friend Richard’s snoring. He snores anyway, but has a wicked(er than my) sinus cold that is ampli/snottifying everything horribly. Seriously. By 5am, even though I was on the couch in another room, I was listening to my iPod with a pillow over my head trying to drown the sound out.
- As a result, I spent much of the day trying to nap and/or reading To Say Nothing of the Dog while Richard played Fallout: New Vegas because I didn’t have the energy to do much else.
- Found somewhere to buy a January bus pass, even though nearly everything was closed.
- Got to write a witness statement for the Ottawa Police after two dumbasses decided to verbally and physically abuse the driver of the bus I was taking home. (Ottawans will not be surprised if I say that yes, it was on the 2.)
The upside in all this is that I didn’t have to deal with raucous crowds last night, met a lovely cabbie who is in his 36th year of driving who had great stories about The Crazy on NYE’s past (he doesn’t work them anymore), enjoyed a movie I hadn’t been entirely sure about seeing, and got to laze with wild abandon. So, a mixed bag so far, really, but that’s life, right?